Friday, September 18, 2009

Common Occurances


September 14, 2009-- Public space is trudged by all walks of life, and especially in a town such as Boston, the diversity in one 500 yard radius can sometimes be daunting. I took a post-class bike ride down to the Common and on my stroll encountered vendors vending, couples carressing and tourists treking. But the following two people drew me in with their stories and fearlessness of a camera lens.

Cowboy, a homeless jazz musician, plays a sensual melody on his
saxaphone for the Boston Common public. On his sporatic and frequent smoke breaks, he tips his hat to the attractive young women who pass by and tells them "[to] keep doing
as they do.
































Trotting along the same path, I encountered another amiable troubador by the name of Patrick who was willing to chat for a bit.













Patrick has been playing music as his sole source of income ever since his job at TJ Scallywaggles, an Allston-based vegan pizza cooperative, shut down.

Initially, his unorthodox choice of instrument was more a choice of conveniance. After one of his friends upgraded

"One of my friends just upgraded his mandolin, so there was this lying around," said P. "Not to mention that it's easier to carry in my bag!"


The vegan musician tends to strum political songs to the passer-byers instead of the traditional classic rock repertoire.

"If I played classic rock covers all day long, I'd go crazy. Unless it was like hair metal songs, but I'm not sure how my listeners would feel about that."

No comments: